15 October, 2006

(slight return)

It was an okay summer for three reasons. One, I fell back in love with Guild Wars. Two, I finally figured out how to enjoy World of Warcraft. Three, I didn't play Urban Dead at all.

This morning I had Firefox open for some reason. (Come to think of it, I was looking for a torrent of the new Guild Wars soundtrack.) I saw Kevan's blog on the link buttons and noticed he's made a new game. Haven't played that yet, but for the first time in months I felt like playing Urban Dead. So I fired her up.

I had thrown myself out the top floor of a police station and was still laying dead on the ground. I pulled my rotting body up to a more or less standing position and wandered a few blocks north to the infamous Craske Triangle, curious about the fate of my beloved Cornelius General Hospital and hoping the revive point I set up would still be active. It is, but the Necrotech building it relies upon is overrun and the hospital is at death's door, so we'll see.

My evil twin Vacuos was miraculously still breathing God's clean air, but he'd awoken in a mall which had been entirely taken over by the walking dead and torn apart, so he high-tailed it back to Marven Mall, where he is now sleeping soundly in the gun store.

Some goth kids we're friends with lay dead in the streets of Vinetown. They got up and shambled up the road to the nearest revive point. The plan is to make their way soon to the City Zoo, where they intend to convert the reptile house into a gloomy nightclub staffed by Adult Swim fans and standoffish DJs.

After I see to the Craske situation I must seek out my old confidante Bake Hayes and see what he's up to. Then I've got a score to settle with the world's worst fire department. And there's the matter of redistricting the entire city.

One thing at a time. Someone remind me.

1 comment:

Mac8000 said...

Interesting to see another frustrated Urban Dead player - it's hard to join a group that actually wants to strategize and come up with a plan.

I'm running 4 alts right now and starting to polarize them into a special unit - since I can't zerg and I've got to contend with IP hits, I'm starting to setup a revival-based set of accounts. Since I'm always serious about protection in MMO's (I was a devoted divine boon / life bond / balthazars spirit prot monk in Guild Wars), I've decide to make all my alts revivers near or in different malls in the city. The plan is to make 7-8 different accounts and simply revive on each one - since reviving sucks up AP but not IP hits, I can run 8 of them and greatly increase the general health of the city. Making needles is also expensive, so if one day I'm running low on IP hits I can simply do that and end the day.

If I have to some other task - like a specific area is in chaos and I need to apply aid there, then I'll apply aid and merely "check in" on my other alts and simply make syringes.

I'm thinking if I could get 5-6 people to do this it'd drastically increase the living population in the cities and, oddly, the "search rate" for syringes going down wouldn't effect anyone at all.

The big reason I'm doing it is because the Achilles heal of any mall is that it can't revive itself unless it's adjacent to an NT building, but if you were to prioritize alts at those areas, you could have a constant stream of revives.

Anyway, thought it was interesting.

I'm either going to do that, or simply focus on malls that are adjacent to NT buildings. Right now I'm freeloading with the Malton rangers in their pursuit to to save Tynte mall but I think it's going down tommorrow - zed breakin. I honestly wanted to work on Stickling mall in shearbank as I think its nearly as important as Giddings mall, which is why I was at Tynte - I thought they'd go to shearbank next if they secured it. I'm not going to join the group because I hate their forums.

Oddly, with only like 40-50 survivors in the mall they did a damn good job of holding. Took forever for them to get in.

I want to make a group that prioritizes the most tactical malls on the map like Caiger, Giddings, Stickling and more and set up my special revive plan and make a dedicated guild to the cause. That and if you had a guild doing it you could do integrity-dependant reviving, like if a guild reviver went down you'd prioritize his revive since he'd of course revive you because as a reviver, you have more value than say, a shooter, a doctor, a construction guy or whatnot because you can recursively revive those classes.

Anyway, rambling now. You get the idea. It's frustrating to make anything at all happen in urban undead.

About Me